SimpleMiner is a simple Minecraft clone developed by myself over 8 weeks.
- Chunks of blocks are rendered using vertex arrays (VAs), one VA per chunk.
- New chunks are generated using Perlin noise as they come within a certain view range of the player.
- Old chunks are efficiently saved out to disk (RLE compression) and then deleted from memory after they go out of range.
- Chunks previously saved out are reloaded (instead of regenerated) if they come back into range.
- Block selection, digging, and placing are all implemented.
- Basic player physics such as jumping and bounding box collision are implemented.
- Trees are placed using Perlin noise during chunk generation and are consistent across chunk boundaries.
- Optimized performance with bitwise operators, interior hidden surface removal, and chunk rendering frustum culling.